Trends in Docked Bikeshare Trips in the U.S. Since 2019
Total Trips on Docked Bikeshare Systems
Trips on 6 Largest Systems
Trips by System
- In Columbus, OH (CoGo) and Philadelphia, PA (Indego), docked bikeshare trips rose above, after falling below, 2019 levels in May 2020 and remained above through November. As of March 2021, ridership on both systems exceeds the 2019 level.
- Trips in Los Angeles, CA (Metro Bikeshare) also rose above, after falling below, 2019 levels in May 2020 but then fell back below 2019 levels.
- In New York, NY (Citi Bike) and in Chicago, IL (Divvy), docked bikeshare trips rose above, after falling below, 2019 levels in September. In Chicago, IL, docked bikeshare trips once again fell below 2019 levels in December before once again rising above in March 2021. In New York, docked bikeshare trips fell below 2019 levels only in February 2021.
Members and All Other Riders on Docked Bikeshare Systems
Contribution of Members and Non-Members to Changes in Docked Bikeshare Ridership
Trips by Time of Day on Docked Bikeshare Systems
Average Trip Time
- Average trip time by members increased by just over 30% from 2019 to 2020 on both weekdays and weekends. Average trip times increased half as much (roughly 13%) among non-members from 2019 to 2020.
- In 2021, average trip times by members and non-members fell from 2020 times. However, average trip times among members on weekdays and weekends remained above 2019 levels in 2021 (by about 12%) . Contrastingly, trips by non-members on both weekdays and weekends fell slightly in 2021 from 2019 times (by about 2%).
- The average trip time is longer for non-members than members - by about 13 mins - but there's significant variation across systems.
- The average weekend trip time is slightly longer than the weekday trip time and trips - by about 2 mins for trips by members and about 4 mins for trips by non-members. As of October 2021, the average trip time by members was 16 mins on weekdays and 14 mins on weekends and by non-members was 28 mins on weekdays and 25 mins on weekends.