Bikeshare and E-scooters Data and Visualizations
What bikeshare (docked and dockless) and e-scooter data does BTS have?
- Areas Accessible by Docked Bikeshare. Depicts the areas of the city accessible by docked bikeshare within a given amount of time (10 and 20 minutes) when starting and ending at a docking station. (Based on docked bikeshare station locations as of August 2021. For current docked bikeshare station locations, see the locations of docked bikeshare stations dataset.)
Systems and Locations
- Bikeshare (docked and dockless) and e-scooter systems in the U.S. Interactive visualizations showing the number, the names of the systems, and the cities served from 2015 to present.
- Systems suspended or closed due to COVID-19. Interactive visualizations showing the number and names of the systems that suspended operations or closed permanently in 2020, by month, and the cities that lost service.
- Locations of docked bikeshare stations. Latitude and longitude for all U.S. docked bikeshare stations by system and year, starting in 2015. Data can be used to see the changes in the locations of docked bikeshare stations over time within a system.
- Docked bikeshare trips. Interactive application comparing the total number of trips taken per month to the same month in the previous year by system. Views also available by station, hour, and day. The data starts in 2020, with comparison to 2019, to show the effects of COVID-19 on docked bikeshare trips.
- Firestine, Theresa. "Effects of COVID-19 on Docked Bikeshare Ridership", Transportation Research Board 100th Annual Meeting (2021), Washington, D.C., available at: https://trid.trb.org/view/1759929
- Data briefs
- 09/01/2021: COVID-Affected Micromobility Changes Differ by City, available at https://www.bts.gov/data-spotlight/covid-affected-micromobility-changes-differ-city
- 08/31/2021: Bikeshare Ridership Exceeds Pre-Pandemic 2019 High for Fourth Straight Month, available at https://www.bts.gov/newsroom/bikeshare-ridership-exceeds-pre-pandemic-2019-high-fourth-straight-month
- 03/24/2021: COVID-19 Crushes Docked Bikeshare and E-scooter Ridership, available at https://www.bts.gov/data-spotlight/covid-19-crushes-bikeshare-e-scooter-ridership
- 04/2016: "Bike-share Stations in the United States", U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, available at https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/view/dot/36434