Transportation Economic Trends
Productivity measures answer important questions about the performance of the transportation sector. This page discusses multifactor productivity. Data and discussion about labor productivity also available.
- Among the sectors experiencing gains or losses in multifactor productivity in 2019, transportation and warehousing remained unchanged.
- Pipeline and warehousing experienced the greatest increase in multifactor productivity in 2019, growing 4.3 percent and 4.0 percent respectively. Rail transportation experienced a decline in multifactor productivity over the same period.
- Capital: cumulative value of the services rendered from the use of physical assets such as equipment, structures, and software over time
- Labor: combined effect of hours worked and the effort and skills of the workers
- Intermediates: fuels, materials (e.g., tires), and purchased services